Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding - Recipe
Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding with red onion and rosemary
Bread and butter pudding has long been a reliably delicious dessert, however I’ve discovered that it makes an even more delicious savoury main course.
Substitute the sweet ingredients with onions and mushrooms and garnish with herbs for a quiche-like main course that is hard to resist. A sparkling fruity drink such as a glass of chilled Appletiser makes the perfect pairing with this delicious but easy to cook dish.
1 tbsp butter
1 foccacia bread,
5 chestnut mushrooms
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic
1 sprig of rosemary
300ml whole milk
200ml double cream
25g Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4
2. Grease an ovenproof dish with the butter
3. Cut the bread into large cubes and arrange neatly into the greased dish
4. Slice the mushrooms and add them in between the bread
5. Chop the red onion into chunks and and add in between the bread
6. Add the rosemary and garlic to the bread
7. Whisk the milk and eggs together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper
8. Pour this mixture over the bread and gently push the bread down into the liquid
9. Leave to stand for 5 mins
10. Grate and scatter the parmesan cheese on top
11. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 mins until set
12. Once baked cut into pieces and serve warm with a cool glass for Appletiser on ice for a refreshing addition to the meal.
This savoury bread and butter pudding is quick to make and can be personalised by adding additional vegetables such as peppers and courgettes. It is best served warm and fresh out of the oven with an iced cold glass of Applestiser, but can also be eaten cold too - making it ideal for picnics and lunches.
Give this quick and easy recipe a try and let me know how you find it, or what extra vegetables you add for your own personal twist!
Her Favourite Food x
In collaboration with Appletiser.
Pin for later: