Winter Recipe - Lamb meatballs with couscous and green beans
Lamb meatballs with couscous and green beans - Recipe
I love spending time in a warm kitchen during the winter months, and as the nights draw in and the hours of sunlight dwindle, I know I’ll be in my cosy kitchen much more!
I enjoy nothing better at this time of year than cooking up a proper hearty meal which is comforting and healthy too. This particular recipe of lamb meatballs with couscous and green beans is one of my favourites. It combines a few more different elements than I usually use in my meals, as I have more time to spend in the kitchen so like to cook up more of a complete meal.
Serving the meatballs with couscous instead of rice or bread means it isn’t a heavy stodgy dish, but still has the substance you need from a meal. The addition of apricots to the lamb meatballs elevates what is a classic dish and gives it an middle-eastern edge. It is this exotic flavour of the meatballs which pairs well with a thirst-quenching glass of Appletiser, as it add a gently sparkling kick to the mix! So, for the perfect pairing enjoy this hearty winter meal with a chilled glass of delicious Appletiser!
You can also add chopped cashew nuts to the meatballs, or to the couscous for added bite!
Preparation Time: 40 mins
2 Garlic cloves
1 Bunch of mint
30 grams of dried apricot
1 pack of green beans
250 grams of lamb mince
150 grams couscous
½ tbsp cumin seeds
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1. Prepare the onion by chopping into small pieces.
2. Peel and grate the garlic for use in the meatballs.
3. Pick and finely chop the mint leaves, discarding the stalks.
4. Chop the dried apricots into small pieces for use in the meatballs.
5. Trim the end of the green beans and set aside for use later.
Prepare the meatballs:
1. Start making the meatballs by adding half the onions, half the mint, 1 clove of garlic and all the dried apricots to the mince.
2. Season with salt and pepper and mix it all together with your hands to combine.
3. Shape into balls of equal size. Don’t make them too large as these will take longer to cook.
4. Next heat a frying pan and drizzle with oil. Add the meatballs and turn frequently. Cook until browned on the outside and leave aside.
Cook the Couscous:
1. Pour water into a large saucepan and bring to boil. Stir in the couscous and add a lid to the pot, then remove from the heat. Leave for 10 mins or until ready to serve.
Make the Sauce:
1. To make the sauce for the meatballs, heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and add the remaining onions. Cook whilst stirring for 5 minutes and add 1 clove of garlic, thyme and cumin seeds.
2. When the onions are soft, add the diced tomatoes as well as salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce for 7-10 mins until it thickens.
1. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
2. Next add the green beans to a frying pan with a drizzle of oil and stir fry until they are soft, for about 6-7 mins.
3. Serve the meatballs, couscous and green beans with a chilled glass of sparkling Appletiser for the #perfectpairing to the ideal winter meal!
Did you give this recipe a try? Let me know how you found it and if you made any personalised additions to it!
In collaboration with Appletiser.
Pin for later: