Travel: 48 hours in Zurich
Style Points: 4/5
When I told those around me I'd booked a spontaneous weekend away to Zurich after finding some extremely affordable flights, they wondered why I had chosen to spend time in a business city. However I discovered Zurich is so much more than a business centre.
- Old Town - This is the best area to stay for its proximity to key sights, river side location and pedestrianised alleyways perfect for wandering.
- Lake Zurich - This immense and beautiful lake can be found after an enjoyable walk down the Lake Promenade.
- Chinese Garden - Located along the Promenade, this beautiful Chinese garden is a great detour away from the lake.
- Grossmünster and Fraumünster - Stunning Churches located in the Old Town.
- Bahnhofstrasse - The most stylish shopping street in Switzerland, known for its high end stores.
- Eating out in Zurich is expensive so prepare for this cost to ensure you don't have to hold back to much.
- Hiltl and Titbits are vegetarian restaurants were you pay according to the weight of your food, perfect if your after a light meal.
- Sprüngli is one of Switzerland's most famous confectioners. The vintage cafe located upstairs is ideal for a relaxed coffee and cake whilst overlooking Bahnhofstrasse.
- Jules Verne Panorama Bar - Located in the tower of a former observatory, the views of Zurich from here are stunning.
- As with pretty much everything else in the city, accommodation in Zurich is also pricey. This applies to the extent that we found it difficult finding a decently prices AirBnB to stay in!
- Instead we opted for a mid-range hotel which actually ended up being extremely luxurious! The Best Western Plus Hotel Zürcherhof is located in the old city, ideal walking distance from the main station and all the key sites in the area. I really enjoyed my stay here and couldn’t have asked for a better hotel in Zurich.
- There are plenty of benches, grassy spots and rocks to relax on along Lake Promenade. Grab an ice cream and a spot by the water to enjoy the calming views.
- There is also a large grassy expanse towards the end of Lake Promenade perfect for stretching out in the sun for hours on end.
- Many of the river side restaurants in the Old Town have outdoor seating and they won't hurry you along if you choose to spend a bit of time enjoying the rays.
Zurich is a perfect spot for a weekend break, as there is just enough to see, both indoors and outdoors, to keep you from getting bored, whilst also having enough time to relax in an outdoor restaurant or admiring the stunning views of Lake Zurich. Remember to save up though, as this city doesn't come cheap!